Natural Solutions to Acid Reflux – Alternatives to Omeprazole and Prilosec
Looking for alternatives to taking over the counter acid reflux medications? There are plenty of options.
I recommend healing your stomach first and then using Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with the juice of a lemon slice in a glass of water to stimulate stomach acid. Sip before meals.
Here are some suggestions to heal acid reflux:
Step 1: Heal Your Stomach
- Avoid spicy foods, tomatoes, coffee and wheat. These foods commonly cause acid reflux.
- Consider taking a supplement which soothes the stomach lining.
- Gastric Repair Complex by BioGenesis Nutraceuticals contains numerous herbs and nutrients designed to soothe and heal the stomach lining.
- These are capsules but I recommend chewing the capsules and then swallowing. The flavor is good so that is not a concern.
- Gastric Repair Complex works better when the capsules are chewed and then swallowed.
- Consider chewing 2 capsules of Gastric Repair Complex with meals or after or anytime you have symptoms of acid reflux.
- G.I. Comfort by Pure Encapsulations may be used instead of Gastric Repair Complex.
- This contains additional soothing nutrients which are designed to heal irritated stomach linings.
- Consider taking 1 scoop and putting in 1 cup of water. Let it soak for a few minutes, then sip. It will be a little gelatinous but this is how it heals your stomach. The taste is quite nice.
- Do not worry that it is a pediatric formula. It is plenty strong for adults.
If stomach acid has been low for some time, there may be bacteria that needs to be eliminated. This bacteria is called Helicobacter pylori.
- Helicobacter pylori takes hold in a stomach with a higher pH and begins to erode the stomach lining.
- Higher pH’s in the stomach are caused by antacids and stress. Given that you have been on antacids for some time, you may have Helicobacter pylori.
- Testing for Helicobacter pylori is not that accurate. If you would like to test for it, there are a few options. Search WebMD for “Helicobacter pylori tests”
- I do not recommend the Triple Antibiotic Therapy for treating Helicobacter pylori. I believe that probiotics and Manuka honey can kill it effectively.
- This erosion of the stomach lining by Helicobacter pylori causes ulcers and burning. Thus, it may not be acid reflux at all but instead an ulcer caused by Helicobacter pylori.
- If this is the case, the symptoms of acid reflux can occur at any time – not just after meals or between meals.
- I highly recommend trying my suggestions coming up below in order to have a more complete resolution.
Manuka Honey has been shown in studies to eliminate Helicobactor pylori:
“Assessment of the minimum inhibitory concentration by inclusion of manuka honey in the agar showed that all seven isolates (of Helicobacter pylori) tested had visible growth over the incubation period of 72 h prevented completely by the presence of 5% (v/v) (manuka) honey.”
Saccharomyces boulardii is researched to reduce symptoms of acid reflux associated with Helicobacter pylori
- Saccharomyces boulardii combined with additional beneficial bacteria is also supportive in helping eradicate Helicobacter pylori
- Recent studies have shown how Saccharomyces boulardii and a potent Lactobacillus combined with Inulin benefited those suffering from Helicobacter pylori.
- The main point of the research states: “Based on their results, the authors proposed that S. boulardii with inulin may be a useful option to interfere with H. pylori colonization in asymptomatic children not requiring eradication therapy or in those unable to be treated with antibiotics.”
- Consider taking a teaspoon of ProBiota 12 Powder at dinner time for 1 month. Only one bottle should be needed. ProBiota 12 Powder contains high amounts of the researched beneficial bacteria along with the needed Inulin.
- Consider taking 2 capsules of Saccharomyces boulardii at dinner time until the bottle is gone. One bottle will last one month. S. boulardii is also available at HealthE Goods.
Step 2: Strengthen the Sphincter between the Stomach and the Esophagus
If the sphincter between the stomach and the esophagus is not closing well, acid may escape from the stomach and burn the esophagus.
There is a cell salt, Calc Fluor 6x, that is used to strengthen connective tissue. It may help reduce the feeling of the lump in your throat and strengthen the sphincter.
- Consider adding 25 tablets of Calc Fluor 6x to a liter of filtered water. Drink throughout the day.
- Do this for a few months in order to replenish the deficiency of this salt.
Step 3: Increase Stomach Acid
Contrary to what most people think, the most common cause of acid reflux or GERD is low stomach acid.
As you heal your stomach with Gastric Repair Complex, ProBiota 12 Powder, Manuka Honey and possibly Calc Fluor 6x, begin taking Apple Cider Vinegar with the juice from a lemon slice in 1/2 glass of water 10 minutes before meals.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Add the juice from a lemon wedge or slice of lemon
- 1/2 cup of water
- Sip slowly
- Once you feel the slight warmth in your stomach or slight burning, stop drinking the mixture.
- Begin eating your meals.
Be as relaxed as you can while eating meals.
- The parasympathetic nervous system increases stomach acid.
- Stress decreases stomach acid
- Proper digestion of food requires stomach acid production.
If you do not want to prepare your own supplement to increase stomach acid, consider taking 1 capsule of PanZyme by BioGenesis before large meals.
In summary, the main supplements you should consider to improve symptoms of acid reflux are:
- Gastric Repair Complex: Chew 2 capsules with each meal or after meals or whenever symptoms of acid reflux occur. Take as long as needed.
- G.I. Comfort may be used instead of Gastric Repair Complex. Take 1 scoop with meals or whenever symptoms of acid reflux occur. Take as long as needed.
- ProBiota 12 Powder: Take 1/2 teaspoon at dinner time for one month. Discontinue after one bottle.
- Saccharomyces boulardii: Take 2 capsules at dinner time for one month. Discontinue use after one bottle.
- Manuka Honey: Take 1 tablespoon between meals, ideally on an empty stomach. Take as long as needed.
- Calc Fluor 6x cell salt: Take if you believe the stomach sphincter is not as tight as it should be. Add 25 tablets to 1 liter of filtered water and drink throughout the day.
- PanZyme: Take 1 capsule at meal time if you do not want to use the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice drink prior to eating.
Lifestyle changes to improve symptoms of acid reflux:
- Limit the intake of coffee, tea and other acidic drinks. It sounds like you are doing a good job of this.
- Drink water or vegetable juice when not eating. This will keep up your stomach’s fluid levels and may reduce symptoms of acid reflux.
Dietary Changes to improve symptoms of acid reflux:
- Limit the intake of foods such as dairy products, spicy foods, wheat and other known foods which irritate your stomach or cause symptoms of acid reflux.
With the above changes in supplementation and lifestyle/dietary changes, you will notice significant improvement, likely in one week.