10 Remedies For Acid Reflux
Heartburn or acid indigestion is another name that refers to acid reflux. The discomfort and pain associated with acid reflux is very common around the world.
This pain & discomfort may result in coughing, hoarseness, constant ear ache, or a burning sensation in your chest (heartburn), sometimes spreading to the throat. over time the complications brought upon by acid reflux may lead to:
* Narrowing of the esophagus (esophageal stricture). The scar tissue narrows the food pathway, causing difficulty when swallowing.
* An open sore in the esophagus (esophageal ulcer). Stomach acid can severely erode tissues in the esophagus, causing an open sore to form.
* Precancerous changes to the esophagus (Barrett’s esophagus). In Barrett’s esophagus, the color and composition of the tissue lining the lower esophagus change.
What Causes Acid Reflux?
Acid reflux is caused by the backup of stomach acid or bile into the esophagus. When you swallow, the lower esophageal sphincter relaxes to allow food and liquid to flow down into your stomach. Then it closes again.
However, if this valve relaxes abnormally or weakens, stomach acid can flow back up into your esophagus. This continuous backwash of acid can irritate the lining of your esophagus, causing it to become inflamed (esophagitis) & resulting in the symptoms mentioned above.
Cures for acid reflux
Once you have gone through all the tests, like an X-ray of your upper digestive system or Passing a flexible tube down your throat. Treatment for acid reflux usually begins with over the counter medications that aim to control the acid. Some of these treatments include:
* Antacids that neutralize stomach acid. Antacids, such as Mylanta, Gelusil, Rolaids and Tums. These can be bought in tablet or liquid form. Overuse of some of these products can cause side effects such as diarrhea or constipation.
* Medications to reduce acid production. Like H-2-receptor blockers, these include cimetidine (Tagamet HB), famotidine (Pepcid AC), nizatidine (Axid AR) or ranitidine (Zantac 75). These don’t act as quickly as antacids, but provide longer relief.
* Medications that block acid production and heal the esophagus. These Proton Pump Inhibitors include lansoprazole and omeprazole. (Please see our video on Proton Pump Inhibitors)
Stronger medications can be applied & if all fails Surgery and other procedures are also available.
So What are the 10 Natural Remedies for Acid Reflux?
If you are feeling an onset of the symptoms associated with acid reflux, there are several natural remedies you can use to help you get rid of the burning sensations in your throat, chest etc. Here are 10 natural remedies for acid reflux that individuals have revealed, as working for them. These natural solutions have helped to relieve or heal their acid reflux, but always consult your physician if you have any concerns.
1.Dried Mint leaves, steep 1 teaspoon in a cup of water and drink. One cup a day for a week.
2.Eating a Mango a day or when you feel the acid reflux active.
3.Marshmallow Root tincture, bottle instructions.
4.Gluten sensitivity. Try removing all grains from my diet, e.g Wheat, oatmeal, and barley are the most common sources of gluten in the Standard American Diet (the SAD). It may take several weeks on a gluten-free diet for the reflux symptoms to gradually disappear.
5.Yellow mustard. 2 teaspoons when you feel the acid reflux active Yummy!
6.Okra boil for a minute, remove the seeds then eat 6 or more pieces a day…with a meal. The Okra is said to help cure the inflammation of the LOWER Esophageal Sphincter.
7.Orange Peel Extract (1000mg. every other day)
8.Pickle Juice. Eat the pickles also, e.g pickled asparagus spears/pickled cauliflower, pickled beets, etc.
9.Apples. Eat a few slices of Apple before meals and before bedtime.
10.ALOE VERA. Make your own, get some aloe vera, peel the skin off of it and just add water to the goo. blend & drink or just buy from health the food shops.